As Executive Chef, You will establish and execute the strategic operations of the culinary section for the Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club.
In this role you will work closely with the Director of Operations to ensure that the each of the culinary vision for the property is achieved. You will provide sound leadership and training that will enable the culinary team of professionals to produce quality products and memorable experiences while ensuring sustainability is achieved.
Culinary Daily Operations
- Oversee culinary operations in all restaurant’s Kitchens, including Pastry, Main Kitchen, and Banquets, outside catering as well as Stewarding operations.
- Focus on constantly improving the training manuals and SOPs. enforce operational standards that are reviewed periodically for improvement
- Participate actively in quality initiatives such as the daily Chef Briefings and monthly team meetings in order to improve culinary operations, meet targets and keep communication flowing.
- Assist in inventory taking and ensure sections have all they need for sound operations
- Ensure to keep updated of hotel’s occupancy, events, forecasts and achievements and communicate the same to the teams.
- Prepare menus in accordance to the various seasons and events, closely liaise with the Food and Beverage Manager for seamless executions.
- Work on new concepts to expand the offer and the quality of the guest food experience
- Work together with Pastry Chef on modernization of the pastry offerings – latest trends
Financials, Budget and Costing
- Ensure that recipes and costings are established and updated Work on the budget together with FB manager when requested
- Control and monitor optimum food costs to yield maximum amount of outlet profit and maximum guest satisfaction.
- Maintain food cost by ensuring that proper preparation, inventory, requisition, food pars and control systems are in place in all food operations areas.
- Achieve departmental budget goals by maintaining efficient cost expenditure.
- Accurately forecast business demands on a weekly basis to ensure efficient staffing & food production.
- Responsible for the sections CAPEX and OPEX
Hygiene and Safety
- Maintain all HACCP aspects within the hotel operation, work closely with the hygiene manager to ensure all areas are as per standard
- Ensure all tools and equipment’s are up to working standards for the hotel
- Enforce sanitation by checking to pass audit score target
- Be aware of the dangers of contaminated food and ensure ingredients in the refrigerators are checked and replaced appropriately.
- Responsible to maintain the overall welfare and engagement of the culinary team by providing them with the training and resources to take care of our guests
- Lead the Culinary Performance Reviews, ensuring appraisals and feedback sessions are held in a professional and timely manner.
- Establish training schedules, provide teaching moments for the team
- Work closely with culinary leaders and supervisors to coach and counsel the team so as to ensure performance and discipline management remains objective, consistent, fair and progressive.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as an Executive Chef in a 5 star luxury/premium property.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- A creative approach to the production of high quality food.
- Excellent leadership & training skills.
- A business focused approach to managing a hotel kitchen.
- Ability to build relationships, internal and external, to the hotel and the Company.
- Builds guest loyalty and to develop to a professional relationship with regular guests and patrons.
- Continually improves product and obtain feedback from guest and patrons.
- Handles customer comments and complaints and take swift corrective action after consultation with the department head concerned.
- Performs any other reasonable duties as required by the DOO from time to time.
- Follows sustainable procedures and practices that support ‘Planet 21’ initiatives (Accor’s Corporate Social Responsibility program).
- Employee benefit card offering discounted rates in Accor worldwide
- Learning programs through our Academies
- Opportunity to develop your talent and grow within your property and across the world!
- Ability to make a difference through our Corporate Social Responsibility activities, like Planet 21
- Be part of creating the historic story of rehabilitating and releasing the rare Mountain Bongo that was heading toward extinction.
- Working with a hotel rich in history and known for exemplary services while growing your career
- Work and learn in a remote luxury property