The role of the class teacher combines nurturing and academic responsibilities. A teacher in the Montessori environment supervises children, redirects children when needed, maintains the cleanliness and order of the classroom, and supports young children in group settings. The teacher must understand the scope and sequence of the Montessori materials, the importance of the environment, and the significance of the quality of their interactions with the children.
The candidate must serve with integrity, inclusivity, respect, and adaptability and also be a positive role model. The candidate must display professionalism and excellence in the delivery of their functions. This must be evident within the classroom and with the parties of learning.
- Draw up the overall aims and objectives of the class and monitor these aims and objectives
- To draw up the class curriculum and to ensure that it coincides with the overall curriculum Policy of the Ministry of Education
- Model appropriate and thoughtful behaviour and respectful communication always. Grace and courtesy are essential components of the Montessori curriculum.
- Have experience in preparing children for Grade 1 or year 1 interview/entrance exams.
- Ensure the highest standards of preparation, teaching, marking, recording, and reporting for the class
- Be involved in the school’s extra-curricular activities and practical subjects, to ensure health and safety
- Deliver each lesson with techniques appropriate to the subject matter, group of children and stage of the programme/curriculum
- Use a variety of approach giving due regard to differentiation and the needs of individual children
- Maintain a well-resourced and attractive teaching environment with appropriate displays in and around his/her area and the school.
- Manage the classroom to ensure that children can concentrate on their work, be competent in their practice, and have confidence in their abilities.
- Involve and direct children as needed, after observation, and provide the opportunity for them to act independently.
- Create an emotional climate in the classroom that is warm and comfortable where children feel safe and nurtured.
- Ensure proper student record keeping and conduct parent/teacher conferences
- Preparation of materials and lessons that meet the needs and interests of the children, are appropriate to their development and are based on Montessori philosophy and practice, best educational practices.
- Implementation of the daily programming under the direction of the supervising teacher.
- Encourage children to be responsible,self-disciplined and to accept external authority or redirection.
- Registered with the Teachers Service Commission
- Minimum 3 years experience teaching in a Montessori classroom environment
- Montessori Certification and Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Early Childhood Development
- Compassionate attitude and a strong understanding of child development
- Child friendly with no previous record of child abuse
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Client-oriented and display innovation and initiative in adapting to the changing needs
- Evidence of being able to lead, manage and be responsible for initiatives/developments
- Ability to use a range of teaching strategies/pedagogies to support the full range of educational needs
- Understanding of the issues surrounding the safeguarding of children and commitment to child welfare and safety
APPLY USING THE LINK BELOW: