Project Officer- Livestock at Islamic Relief
The project Officer Livestock will assist in the implementation of Livestock and agriculture activities of the Strengthening Community Resilience and Economic Empowerment Programme (SHEEP Project in Garissa County. He/she will directly report to the Field coordinator administratively and technically.
Project planning and implementation (50%)
- Conduct social mobilizations, project targets identifications, setting target criteria for the integrated project activities.
- Ensure the overall livestock and agricultural activities of the project are implemented according to the approved donor & government agreement.
- Coordinate & facilitate the selection of beneficiaries of the project jointly with the recommended stakeholders based on the agreed targeting criteria.
- Work closely with the Community focal persons in Mobilization, sensitization and general implementation of the project including handling beneficiaries complains.
- Development of project implementation plans and budgets within the project framework.
- Supporting and keeping track of day-to-day activities implementation at the selected sites.
- Ensure timely implementation of project activities as per the work plan budgetary, standards and procedures.
- Ensure filling of project documents in accordance with IRK policy and procedures.
- Ensure that livestock production & health activities that enable to promote the livestock products and marketing and this would create more income for communities.
- Ensure the preparation and implementation of the work plan activities, including M&E activities, meetings & visits of the project area conduct timely in coordination with the Field coordinator and MEAL officer.
- Coordinate & support the efforts of fodder production & emergency livestock response.
- Facilitate consultation, participation, and feedback to the community in relation to Islamic relief program and policies.
- Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and Do No Harm and ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Prepare project monthly quarterly and annual work plans.
- Preparation of weekly project implementation plans/acceleration plans
- Assist in any other implementation duty assigned by line managers.
Monitoring, Documentation, Communications, and reporting (30%)
- Provide all the written weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports timely as required by IRK and the donor and submitted to the MEAL unit.
- Ensure the project target is achieved in line with project plans and result framework.
- Assist in Developing project implementation tools including Detailed Implementation Plans (DIPs), MEAL Plans, Procurement Plans, Communication plan, weekly/monthly work plans as may be necessary.
- Properly & timely compile all relevant documents as like as case stories, success stories, pictures, photographs, and lesson learned during the implementation and constantly share it to MEAL and Communications team.
- Document community and stakeholders’ feedback and share with relevant stakeholders for appropriate action.
- Regular monitoring and evaluation of project implementation at field Level.
- Prepare and submit timely monthly, quarterly, annually narrative, and financial reports.
- Coordinate the action plans for assessments, monitoring, & joint review on the implementation and progresses of the project activities.
- Ensure compliance with the requirements of the IRK’s MEAL System, Core humanitarian Standard (CHS) and other relevant policies.
3. Coordination and Networking (20%)
- Coordinate with other partners working in the area in support of programme,
- Represent IRK at relevant stakeholder forums as may be requested by the line Managers.
- Coordinate to conduct capacity gaps assessment for community and government counterparts and organize capacity building training and resources & other logistic support as per identified gaps and constraints.
- Ensure there is a system for networking and communication with local government partners, relevant line departments and community representations in the project area(s).
- Advocate to partners for project activities and objectives and understand the project’s contribution to wider Islamic Relief goals and objectives.
Qualification and experience
- Minimum Qualification required: Masters or bachelor’s degree in animal husbandry, Veterinary Medicine, Animal Sciences, Agriculture, Rural development, or other relevant fields of study.
- Minimum of at least 5 years’ experience in a similar position or project management in an international NGO, UN, or Government Institutions.
- Must be member and hold Livestock certification from KAGR under the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries established through Gazette Notice No. L.N. 110 of September 2011.
- Good technical knowledge of policy and practice in the field of agronomy, livelihoods, or crop productivity and development as well as other cross cutting issues.
- Experience in livelihood programs in Arid and semi-Arid (ASAL) settings Preferred.
- Conceptual understanding of participatory approach and sustainable development goals.
- Knowledge of local language is an added advantage.
- Basic computer skills.
- Monitoring & supervision skill
- Reporting writing skills.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff and other stakeholders.
- Vast knowledge and experience in programme management cycle-planning, monitoring, evaluation, documentation/reporting /sharing and learning.
Personal skills and competencies
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Islamic Relief values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance, and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development, and encourages others to do the same.
- Understand and adhere to the policies, processes, practices, and standards relevant to own work and keeps their knowledge and skills up to date.
- Takes responsibility for own performance and development: reflecting; seeking and listening to feedback; learning from mistakes; finding people or resources to help them learn.
- Constructive and optimistic in facing setbacks, challenges, and change, using own initiative to analyse issues and improve things.
- Good team player, communicating effectively and being open and supportive towards those around them.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Creativity: Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Integrity: Honest, encourages openness and transparency.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong beneficiary/local partner-service focus
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people as a member of multi-cultural teams.
- Ability to prioritize work, multitask and control processes.
- Maturity, diplomacy, tact, and discretion, with strong negotiation skills.
- Proven analytical skills and ability to think strategically.
- Fluency in English both written and verbal.
- Experiences of facilitating community-based training, capacity building, skills/experience in workshops, trainings, and awareness campaigns.
How to apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: Recruitment.email@example.com using the position as subject of email.